Virtual Pediatric Hospital: Back Pain in Children: How to Interpret Plain Films of the Lumbar SpineBack Pain in Children
How to Interpret Plain Films of the Lumbar Spine
Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D.
Peer Review Status: Internally Peer Reviewed
1. On the AP view, count the number of lumbar-type vertebral bodies - there should be five.
2. On the AP view, check to see if the pedicles of the vertebral bodies are intact or destroyed.
3. On the AP view, check the SI joints to see if they are narrowed
4. On the Lateral view, check the intervertebral disk spaces to see if they are preserved or narrowed.
5. On the Lateral view, check the vertebral bodies to see if their height is preserved.
6. On the Lateral view, check the alignment of the vertebral bodies.
"Virtual Pediatric Hospital", the Virtual Pediatric Hospital logo, and "A digital library of pediatric information" are all Trademarks of Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D.
Virtual Pediatric Hospital is funded in whole by Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D. Advertising is not accepted.
Your personal information remains confidential and is not sold, leased, or given to any third party be they reliable or not.
The information contained in Virtual Pediatric Hospital is not a substitute for the medical care and advice of your physician. There may be variations in treatment that your physician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.